Yes, you read that right – moussagna! I wanted to use up the few leftovers we had for dinner tonight – all part of my new economical, resourceful make-do-and-mend, 50s housewife drive – so I ended up creating some weird moussaka, risotto and lasagna hybrid, flavoured with harissa. Yup, sounds pretty strange doesn’t it? But you know what? It was actually delicious. Even Mr Fast Days, who was looking frankly quite scared when I put it on the table, said it was good and cleaned his plate right up! So, should you ever want to repeat my food experiment, here’s how I did it:
Middle Eastern Moussagna – 342 calories
Ingredients – serves 2
- 2 portions stuffed pepper filling: 394 calories
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 1 aubergine, sliced very thinly lengthwise: 110 calories
- 1 courgette, sliced very thinly lengthwise: 18 calories
- 50g Cathedral City Lighter Mature Cheddar, grated: 156 calories
- Lay the aubergine and courgette slices on a baking tray, brush with the harissa paste, and cook in a hot oven for around 10 minutes until softened, turning once.
- While that’s cooking, heat the leftover rice mixture in the microwave until it’s PIPING hot!
- When everything’s ready, it’s time to start layering. Spoon a third of the rice into a baking dish. Top with a layer of aubergine, then more rice, then the courgette, the rest of the rice, and the last of the aubergine slices.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of that and bung it back in the oven for around 15 minutes. When it’s golden brown and bubbling, you can dig in. Enjoy!
PS Apologies for the terrible picture. The dish was so steamy the camera wouldn’t focus properly!
PPS I’ve given the site a bit of a spruce up – let me know what you think of its new look!